Tuesday, February 09, 2010

EYE DOCTOR "OH BOO"

I've recently been having some extremely discouraging vision problems. Started between Christmas and the new year. It began with pressure behind my eyes and later with blurred vision and ultimately what appeared to be lightening bolts flashing at the left side of my left eye.

Needless to say it put the scare in me. I'd rather lose my sense of smell, sense of hearing or sense of touch than my sense of sight - being an avid reader, losing my sight is a fate worse than death.

Pop took the day off to take me to an emergency appointment at the ophthalmologist - they took me right in and turned me every which way but loose as all the symptoms I was having pointed to a detached retina which would have required immediate surgery. YIKES!

Zgirl went with us and after about an hour's worth of excruciatingly irritating tests, the tech left the room and I called zgirl and pop into the room to keep me company.

They had to inspect the room with all the drawers and cabinet labels when zgirl came to one that stated "Foreign Body Removal Tool" and looked at pop and asked, "What's this one for?"

Pop's response, "That's to take all the illegal aliens out of your mother's eye."

...oh boo...

No, I do not have a detached retina but do have a small hemorrhage which could lead to one so will be having many follow-up appointments to keep a close watch on my vision. The doctor said my brain would block out many of the symptoms - like this big, freakin' grey blob that keeps getting in the way - NO! Swatting at it openly does no good...

...oh boo...